Touch Tablet Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 posters

GPS on Asus Vivo Tab RT

Plantje

GPS on Asus Vivo Tab RT Empty GPS on Asus Vivo Tab RT

Post by Plantje Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:31 am

Hi,

According to the Asus website GPS on the Vivo Tab RT is "supported". In the settings one can enable GNSS which seems to stand for Global Navigation Satelite System.

However, if I pull up a map app it will only show the location of my ISP (or in some cases the location of the IP address I am currently connected to) as "My location". A sensor app will at some point show that GPS is ready and will show some longitude/latitude data, but it doesn't seem to be really tracking.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

GPS on Asus Vivo Tab RT Empty Re: GPS on Asus Vivo Tab RT

Post by Dreamcat Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:51 pm

From what I've read, there is a Broadcom GPS chip that supports GPS, GLOSNASS, and two other location services.
    I've read quite a few people say they have used GPS on the Vivo RT, but only one person mentioned what software was working with it. Bing Maps. To quote them:
    I tested the GNSS (GPS) and Bing maps found my exact location.

Of course, the Bing Maps app can also find you via WiFi, so you may want to turn off WiFi before trying it.
    Plantje

Post by Plantje Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:58 pm

Dreamcat wrote:From what I've read, there is a Broadcom GPS chip that supports GPS, GLOSNASS, and two other location services.
    I've read quite a few people say they have used GPS on the Vivo RT, but only one person mentioned what software was working with it. Bing Maps. To quote them:
    I tested the GNSS (GPS) and Bing maps found my exact location.

Of course, the Bing Maps app can also find you via WiFi, so you may want to turn off WiFi before trying it.

Ahum...turning off WiFi...that's a clever one Smile Will try that soon! Thanks!
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Post by Dreamcat Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:18 pm

If you look in Device Manager (does RT have that?), there is something called Windows Location Provider (at least on Win8 Pro), and it seems to be defaulting to using WiFi and 4G location services before using GPS.
    But, legacy apps like MSFT Streets & Trips go straight to using GPS (which doesn't help on an RT device).
    I've seen some questions on MSFT's help forum about this issue, and there are no official solutions from what I can find.
    Plantje

Post by Plantje Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Unfortunately on RT there is no Windows Location Provider (I saw this one on Windows 8 on my desktop as well) But it does state the GNSS in the sensors in device manager. Perhaps I just need to go outside more! Smile
    But the downside is that it doesn't seem to work in the car either. I was hoping to use it as navigation as well!
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Post by Dreamcat Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:13 pm

That's a bummer. Are there any apps for RT that show how many GPS satellites you are connected to?
    Plantje

Post by Plantje Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:00 am

There is an app that shows the data that all sensors are producing. It doesn't go in depth on the number of satellites found. I think I will look for one in the store.
    Plantje

Post by Plantje Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:06 am

Finally got to testing this myself. Outside it works like a charm! Then I went back in the car and for dozens of kilometers it kept track of where I was. Until I closed the maps app or went to a different app. Upon returning to the maps app it wouldn't get my GPS position again. And after a while it resorted back to the position of my internet provider as "my location"
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Post by Dreamcat Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Sounds like the case is keeping the signal from getting through in an effective way.
    The few EXOPC Slates manufactured with GPS/3G had the same issue, in my experience.
    Plantje

Post by Plantje Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:48 am

Or the windshield of the car is doing that. The strange thing is: it did keep my GPS position for about half an hour and tracked me perfectly while driving 100 km/hour.

But after closing the app it doesn't get the fix again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am