Touch Tablet Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet.

Poll

Which browser do use use on a Windows tablet?

[ 2 ]
    Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_lcap18%Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_rcap [18%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_lcap27%Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_rcap [27%] 
    [ 5 ]
    Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_lcap45%Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_rcap [45%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_lcap9%Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_rcap [9%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_lcap0%Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_lcap0%Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. I_vote_rcap [0%] 

Total Votes: 11
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. Empty Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet.

Post by Dreamcat Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:47 pm

When I first started using Windows 8, I really tried to make IE10 my browser of choice, but the inconsistencies in webpage display and the availability (or lack) of extensions kept me from doing some of the things I was expecting.
    I used Firefox and Chrome (the latest beta versions of each), each for a couple weeks at a time, to figure out which browser to make my daily driver.
    First, Firefox was great. Pages loaded fast, tons of great extensions, etc. But, it was using up my memory more so than Chrome or IE10.
    Chrome on the other hand used the least memory, seemed to slow down and/or crash the least, and still had all of my extensions that I needed. Plus, with the latest beta version, Chrome can switch to a Windows 8 style browser (full screen, like the metro style IE10) and back to standard desktop mode...without opening a separate application!
    The fact that there were essentially two IE10's really bothered me (especially when teaching people about using Windows 8, and trying to explain to IE icons that aren't the same IE).
    So, I'm currently a Chrome user on both my desktop and tablets, and with the much improved touch support (it was not so good back in the Windows 7 on the EXOPC days) it will continue to use it as far as I can tell.
    Now, no matter which browser you use, I highly suggest adding an ad blocking extension. Not only is it annoying to accidentally touch an ad and have it activate when you are touch scrolling a web page, but depending on the ad type, it can be a big battery drain as well.
    Here's some links to the ad block extensions I use for the main three browsers:
    Internet Explorer 10
    Mozilla Firefox
    Google Chrome
    Road Runner

Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. Empty Is Chrome now touch usable?

Post by Road Runner Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:53 am

Chrome was frustrating me, even with extensions added in, not touch scrolling properly. So I'm using Firefox with some extension for touch. Works nice.

So you say Chrome has been made touch friendly? You can scroll without having to try to grab the minuscule sidebar?

Note: I'm running the retail version of w8 and loving it on the slate.
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. Empty Re: Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet.

Post by Dreamcat Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:19 am

Yeah, if you haven't, try the latest Chrome Beta. Touch works well for me.

In the drop down menu (upper right corner) you can switch to desktop mode and back to the Win8 metro style.
    Road Runner

Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet. Empty Re: Browsing the web on a Windows 8 tablet.

Post by Road Runner Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:46 pm

yep, looks nice.
    still learning to use it... long press, flick bottom up...
    maybe I'll have to resd the manual ;-)
    Plantje

Post by Plantje Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:44 am

I always use IE10 new style by default. Only if needed I go to the desktop mode.
    Tim Marcum
    Tim Marcum

Post by Tim Marcum Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:37 pm

I tend to stay in desktop mode so I use IE 10 there as well. I am such a throwback -- I even keep my menu turned on all the time.
    Rob7

Post by Rob7 Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:30 pm

I use IE10 but have Firefox just in case Smile
    Not a big google fan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:35 am