Touch Tablet Community

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Tim Marcum
Plantje
waterhead
Moon_Wolf
charon
Rob7
Dreamcat
11 posters

Welcome to the new Touch Tablet Community forum!

Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Welcome to the new Touch Tablet Community forum! Empty Welcome to the new Touch Tablet Community forum!

Post by Dreamcat Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:37 pm

Hi everyone! Very Happy

Hopefully you've found your way here because you are looking for a place to gather online and discuss the many options we have when it comes to touchscreen computing.
    Be it Windows 8, Android, or iOS; your thoughts, questions, and enthusiasm are welcome here!

This website is in its early stages of being developed, so please bear with us.
    We plan to have daily news updates on the happenings in tablet news, but until everything is up and working, you're more than welcome to register an account on the forum and start talking.

Best Regards,
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Welcome to the new Touch Tablet Community forum! Empty Re: Welcome to the new Touch Tablet Community forum!

Post by Dreamcat Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:07 pm

I've created a custom Google feed to show tablet computing based news on the News page.
    That should help give us some topics to discuss. If you see anything interesting on there, feel free to make a thread to talk about it.

Also, if there's a forum section that you think should exist here, just let me know.
    Rob7

Welcome to the new Touch Tablet Community forum! Empty Re: Welcome to the new Touch Tablet Community forum!

Post by Rob7 Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:50 am

After some problems with registration last night, today everything went fine...so I made it !

Hope Dreamcat the best with the new project
    charon
    charon

Post by charon Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:46 am

Hi I'm Charon. You may remember me from another board. I like computers and technology. I love Pen Testing and Servers. Did I mention my name is Charon? Hi!
    Moon_Wolf
    Moon_Wolf

Post by Moon_Wolf Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:25 pm

Finally got into the forum. Could not do it on the old Samsung 7" android tablet but okay with Windows 7. Glad to be here and looking forward to a place to chat on tablets.
    I have a Samsung 7" android tablet that we have used over the last 3 years.
    I also have a EXOPC which was a Windows 7 tablet that came out last year as a new venture that has died but the tablet is functional and is running a pre Windows 8 install.
    I am waiting until February when I can upgrade my Samsung Galaxy S to a Samsung Galaxy Note II.
    Welcome to all new comers.
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Post by Dreamcat Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks everyone for signing up here. I'll be redoing the site in HTML5 soon, so it will look better on Android and iOS devices.
    waterhead

Post by waterhead Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:36 am

DELETED BY OP

Last edited by waterhead on Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Post by Dreamcat Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:34 am

Thanks for joining up here! Smile
    Yeah, that's why I wanted to do an entire website and forum devoted to tablet computing. With so many people moving on from their EXOPC's, it made sense to broaden the horizon. As I get time, I'd like to grow this site into having a repository of tablet info and drivers, etc. Maybe even a Wiki that others can join in on adding to. If it gets big enough, the news section could be written specifically for this site, instead of being a news feed.

The Linux tablet thing didn't seem to get much interest in the past, but if enough people are interested in that, we could try having a section devoted to it.
    Plantje

Post by Plantje Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:42 am

Hi Guys!
    Nice to see you guys here as well. Still hope that the site will look better on my Windows RT and metro IE soon!
    Tim Marcum
    Tim Marcum

Post by Tim Marcum Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:47 pm

Dreamcat,

Thanks for the invitation. I will try to contribute to the fray. Although after more than two years, my EXOPC Slate now running Windows 8 is still my goto device, I just bought my wife a Nexus 7 tablet and I am considering which Windows 8 tablet I should buy (I will NOT buy an RT device -- why hamstring yourself?).
    Plantje

Post by Plantje Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:54 pm

Oooooh, but the Asus Vivo Tab RT is such a nice machine! I really love it!
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Post by Dreamcat Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:23 pm

Welcome Tim! You old school machine, you! Wink

Plantje wrote:Oooooh, but the Asus Vivo Tab RT is such a nice machine! I really love it!

I'm waiting to see the battery life on the non-RT Win8 tablets. I agree with Tim about the hamstring consideration, but want more than a 4 hour battery life in my next tablet.
    Hmmmm, Android, iPad, Win8 RT. So many choices!
    Tim Marcum
    Tim Marcum

Post by Tim Marcum Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:31 pm

Well, except for 10-point touch, my EXOPC Slate can do more under Windows 8 than any of the RT devices available. I can multitask, use Windows Media Center, and load software from earlier versions of Windows (does anyone else have programs they stil use?).

Windows RT is Microsoft's answer to the Apple iPad. It will run Microsoft Office, but beyond that, it is not meant to be a productivity machine. The businesses that have embraced the iPad in the C-Suite have done so at the behest of executives who thought they looked cool, but didn't understand they couldn't really be used to get work done beyond reviewing pdf files, writing short e-mails, and veiwing web sites.

A Windows 8 tablet should be able to do anything a Windows 8 desktop or laptop can do, especially with add-on peripherals that can be left behind when not needed. Battery life is less of a consideration for me because I am near a power source most of my day. I have to be because my Galaxy Nexus phone only lasts about three hours on a charge even when I am not using it for anything.
    Tim Marcum
    Tim Marcum

Post by Tim Marcum Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:34 pm

Dreamcat,

I promise from now on I will keep my comments in an appropriate forum. I am just happy to have a venue to discuss this important aspect of computing. PC Magazine declared 2012 the Year of Tablets -- I think we are just gettin started!
    chemist75
    chemist75

Post by chemist75 Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:55 pm

hello Guys
    I wanted to use chemist as username but it said user name already used, but I do not see it in the memberlist ...
    I'm pleased to meet you again
    Plantje

Post by Plantje Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:44 am

To be honest: I really don't miss the lack of support of legacy programs in Windows RT. And I love the battery life of my Vivo Tab RT!

I agree that one should not buy a Windows RT device and expect it to replace an x86 desktop or laptop that you use to do photo or video editing, heavy gaming or programming. But for the majority of people a "business device" only needs to support web browsing, some pdf reading, simple Office stuff etc.

Windows Media Center is nice, but it uses a lot of processor power (and thus battery life!). Now I just convert my recordings to mp4 and I am done.
    Plantje

Post by Plantje Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:25 am

Let's make this the one and only forum where people can find everything they need for any tablet!

So, if you find a solution on another forum or anything at least post a link here.
    Rob7

Post by Rob7 Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:25 pm

Plantje wrote:To be honest: I really don't miss the lack of support of legacy programs in Windows RT. And I love the battery life of my Vivo Tab RT!

I agree that one should not buy a Windows RT device and expect it to replace an x86 desktop or laptop that you use to do photo or video editing, heavy gaming or programming. But for the majority of people a "business device" only needs to support web browsing, some pdf reading, simple Office stuff etc.

Windows Media Center is nice, but it uses a lot of processor power (and thus battery life!). Now I just convert my recordings to mp4 and I am done.

In total agreement with Plantje......I had doubts about using RT on a regular basis, but so far have had no problems. Yes it is not for anyone that has to do major projects or for those that use Media Center. The trade off is fantastic battery life. I use to keep my EXOPC plugged in most of the time, the Asus Vivo Tab RT has great power use, and with the keyboard option extends battery live an additional 8 to 12 hours.
    murmur70
    murmur70

Post by murmur70 Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks DC for setting this up. I have enjoyed being a part of this group and am glad to continue. I have sold my Exopc but have a Samsung GT 7.7 which is very nice. I would be interested in a Windows tab again but I am taking a wait and see approach at this point.
    moiDeb
    moiDeb

Post by moiDeb Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:31 pm

I see a few names I was familiar with on another forum Smile . I've still got my ExoPC but now run it with Windows 8 which is quicker and smoother than before.

Last edited by moiDeb on Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected typo and changed a couple of words)
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Post by Dreamcat Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Hi Deb! Thanks for joining us here. Smile
    Plantje

Post by Plantje Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:18 pm

To be honest: I gave my EXOPC to my girlfriend and she hardly uses it... Sad She likes her laptop better...
    moiDeb
    moiDeb

Post by moiDeb Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Thanks Dreamcat.
    martinjs

Post by martinjs Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:25 am

Hi all, I wasn't a big poster to the Exopc forum but I did check in regularly. As my Leader Slate (Aussie version of the EXO) is still running strong and doing all I need it too I'm still using it, of course now with Windows 8 which literally breathed new life into it, I'm a happy camper.
    Good to see a forum like this one, I found the existing ones not quite what I was looking for.

Martin
    Dreamcat
    Dreamcat
    Admin

Post by Dreamcat Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:02 pm

martinjs wrote:Hi all, I wasn't a big poster to the Exopc forum but I did check in regularly. As my Leader Slate (Aussie version of the EXO) is still running strong and doing all I need it too I'm still using it, of course now with Windows 8 which literally breathed new life into it, I'm a happy camper.
    Good to see a forum like this one, I found the existing ones not quite what I was looking for.

Martin

Welcome to our community, Martin. Glad to have you here! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:28 pm